5 Reasons to DATE: Are You Ready?
In a world where EVERYONE seems to have a boyfriend/girlfriend and add trying to live a life of following Christ, it can be hard knowing when is the right time to date. For whatever reason, you are now in a place where dating has become of some interest to you. Either someone has come along and caught your attention or people are pressuring you to find someone. Regardless of what the reason is, here are some guidelines that will hopefully put things into perspective and let you know if you are really ready:
1) You have met someone who meets your standards– This may seem like a give in but I can’t tell you how many people have settled simply because they can’t wait, lost trust in God, or are just bored. Hopefully you’ve already written down a list of characteristics most important to you in your future mate. If not, click here for some ideas to help you out.
2) You are ready– In order to be in a healthy and successful relationship, it’s important to come as a whole person. There are tragedies and emotional issues that happen in our life where we still might be hurting and need healing. If you are not sure what that may look like, then I would ask a parent or trusted adult. Prepare yourself. You may not like what you hear but if you trust this person then take what they say as a way to better yourself.
3) It’s ok with your parents– I’m hoping you didn’t groan when you read this! Getting your parents approval is an important step because it’s shows you are serious about this person. Going around your parent’s backs will just set a foundation of mistrust. You want to set your relationship up for success and will need your parent’s guidance and prayer in the fight to remain sexually pure.
4) YOU are choosing to date– With dating there can be a lot of pressure from outside sources like friends, family, or even the media to date before you feel ready. The question to ask yourself is, Do I want to date? If you feel like you are under pressure, then I would take a step back and find your voice. Ok I’m going to get a little cliché and say, JUST SAY NO! Click here for some other types of dating to avoid.
5) The ONE– The point of dating is primarily because you feel this person would be ideal as a future husband or wife and would like to see if it could be a lifelong match. Honestly, why would you waste your time, effort, feelings, gift ideas, and the fight to remain sexually pure, on someone you could either care less about or you’ll forget in a year or five minutes? You deserve more.
Overall, when it comes to dating or any decision in your life it’s important to distinguish God’s voice through it all. Trust in His timing and His knowledge. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord” (Isa. 55:8). Believe me, He’s not running around in heaven or on christianmingle.com trying to find you a mate. He created that person and is excited for you to meet them. He knows! Hold on brothers and sisters. You can do it!
Baskets of blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!