Are You Thinking About Suicide?: Find Out Why Life IS Worth Living
“But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”
I remember sitting in my family’s car in 7th grade praying that we would get hit and I would be the only person to die. Crying so no one could hear me. Praying, begging, and pleading night after night for God to take me. That year I was getting bullied almost every single day, I felt like I had no one to talk to, I was cutting myself to feel alive, I was involved in sexual behavior, my parents were divorced, and I was obsessed with thoughts of death. Just when I thought dying was my only option for happiness, God showed up in a very real way.
On one of those nights, the Lord WAS going to honor my request. As I was praying, I started to feel myself lift (when I say myself I mean my soul). It was just enough for me to say, “Wait!!!! Okay maybe I should think this over. Wow, you were really going to take me.” It was a major wake up call. At that moment it showed me how much I really wanted to live regardless of how I was feeling in the moment and how REAL God is.
These past few months there have been three deaths in my life due to suicide. Young men, who felt like life was too much to bear and the only way out was to take their life. Have you ever felt like this? Have you ever felt the only way to get attention, for somebody to listen, or take you seriously is if you took your own life? I know I did. So what do you do? Why should you continue to fight to live? Where do you go for help? Here are some thoughts, tips, and scriptures to memorize and meditate on:
1) You are loved– You might be in a place in your life where you feel like no one understands the pain you are feeling. There is no one who loves, cares, sees, or hears you. Friend, I tell you this. God does. I know this may sound cliché but it’s true. Not only does He love you but He WILL help you. The enemy wants to isolate you. He makes it seem like you are the ONLY one going through what you are going through and there is no one who loves you. Even if this FEELS true, it’s a LIE. If you really feel there is no one who loves you, remember God doesn’t change. God has and will always LOVE YOU!
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Heb. 13:8)
~Regardless of the situations or people in your life, you can rely on the ONE thing that will remain constant, the Lord.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
~Never take this scripture for granted. His ONLY son, He gave just for you.
“When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.” (Psalm 34:17-20)
~He hears you. What a beautiful thing to know, someone hears you.
“Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom. 5:7-8)
~It doesn’t matter what you have done. He still loves you.
“No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Rom. 8:39)
~Nothing, absolutely nothing can separate us from God’s love.
2) IT GETS BETTER– It really does. I’m not sure why you are in this season of life right now but know it is JUST a season. It may seem hopeless but don’t rely on those feelings. Feelings come and go. Build a foundation on the knowledge and truth of God. One day, you’ll look back and realize everything you would’ve missed had you given into the lie that the world is better off without you.
“Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” (Rom. 12:12)
~You are fighting a huge battle for your life. Keep these things near to your heart.
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” (Rom. 15:13)
~Hope is SO IMPORTANT for you. It is the lifesaver when you are drowning in life. Grab hold and don’t let go until the Lord pulls you up!
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jer. 29:11).
~There is a full life waiting around the corner of this place you are in. You have a purpose!
“You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives” (Gen. 50:20).
~Whatever obstacles or challenges you are facing doesn’t stand a chance against God. He makes ALL things new, even you!
1) Pray/Fast- The enemy wants to take you down. Praying and fasting will help you WIN this battle. It breaks strongholds, bondages, and emotional baggage. Fasting can be anything from a bad relationship, food, Facebook, certain types of music, etc. Is there something pressing on your heart that you think you should give up? Start there. It could be for a couple of days, months, or forever. Ask the Lord, He will reveal it to you.
“But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose. And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? And he said to them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.” (Mark 9:27-29)
2) Talk w/ someone- The more you talk about it, the better you feel. Not only will you release feelings that are pent up but you will also get some good advice (make sure you are opening up to people who can help support, encourage, and they are someone you trust with the information). There is strength in numbers. Fight this battle with God’s soldiers.
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” (Eccl. 4:12)
3) Learn/Know your worth- He LOVES you so much, he gave HIS life for you. There is no reason for you to take yours. Never take this scripture for granted, He thought of you. Yes, you.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
~Yes, I used this scripture twice. I put it here again in case you missed it!
4) Hope- There is hope in Jesus. With suicide and depression, it seems like there is no hope. This is a LIE. With Jesus, there is ALWAYS hope. Hang on to it, even if you feel it’s as tiny as a mustard seed.
“Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off.” (Prov. 23:18)
5) Cry- Let it OUT! In this world, we try so hard to be consistently strong that we forget how beautiful it is to be weak. There is a washing of the spirit when you come broken before God. He scoops you up, dries you off, and has the freedom to LOVE on you. Let Him!
“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” (2 Cor. 12:9)
Please stay. I know it seems really hard now but your life is SO PRECIOUS. You are here for a reason regardless of what anyone says. Find that reason and fight for it. Drop that knife, step off that ledge, take the rope off, climb out of whatever place you are, and allow God to breathe hope and life back into you. Memorize these scriptures and remind yourself constantly of your worth. Start living life, NOW!
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matt. 11:28-30)
Baskets of Blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!