I’m so in LOVE with YOU!: 5 Ways to Fall in Love with God
Have you ever looked at someone at your church with jealousy because of his or her relationship with God? Did you ever wonder why you didn’t have the same thing? I remember sitting at church or a bible study and witness another person having this amazing experience with God that I didn’t have. It made me wonder if it was fake or maybe I wasn’t good enough to have the same thing. Sometimes I even remember feeling embarrassed or secretly making fun of “those people” who would be crying or “overly” praising God. Have you ever felt like this?
The change came for me when I really experienced the POWER of God. I was out bonding with two teens when demons presented themselves in one of them (see the story in Matt. 12:22-32). Luckily the other teen has a father who is a Pastor. We took her back to her house and he was able to extract them through prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit. It was the first time I ever spoke in tongues and witnessed the spiritual battle we are truly in (see Acts 2:1-4). At that moment I understood why “those people” did what they did. There was a REAL power I experienced and couldn’t let go of. It was amazing.
You see this whole purity thing goes beyond just saving yourself for marriage. We weren’t made just for sex. We are a soul seeking a real experience with love. Being pure is being in a relationship with the person that is the very definition of love. “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” Therefore, in order to truly experience love we must know “it” meaning know Him. So how do we get to know Him? Here are some ways to set a foundation that will help you understand “those people” and fall deeply in love with God:
1) Learn about Him- Some people may find the bible overwhelming or boring but reading the bible is like reading someone’s diary. That someone is God. I mean think about it, if you found your crush’s diary would you read it? Most of us would say yes because it contains their thoughts, wants, and secrets. The bible holds that and so much more. It has power to transform you. Why? Because the more you learn about God, the more you begin to understand why He did things and why things turned out the way they did. Think about it, if you saw a girl with a nasty attitude and just downright mean we would probably judge her instantly in a negative way but if we knew that she was raped constantly as a child then we would probably give her a break or at the very least sympathize. Knowledge is power. (2 Tim. 3:16-17, Psalm 119:105, Rom. 15:4)
2) Spend time together– In any relationship romantic or not, time has to be put in. I remember people saying they “knew” me when I had no idea who they were. I might’ve had a class with them or maybe I’ve seen them in the hallway but I didn’t feel like they knew me. How many of us get upset when that happens? Our response is usually, “They don’t know me!” Right? It’s the same with God. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 7:21). To truly know someone is to spend time with them, make memories, know their life, and know their heart. (Matt. 6:33, Isa. 53:1-12)
3) Can’t stop thinking/talking about Him– Whether it’s your best friend, someone special, or that beloved family member, we usually think about and talk about them often. We’ll recall memories and experiences we had with these people. When you start spending more and more time with God the same thing happens. Scripture will start coming to mind easily, you’ll remember those times God was personal with you, times He took you out of your misery, you’ll wonder how you can get to know Him better, and you’ll want to spend more time with Him. Also, evangelizing will become easier because it’s just become who you are rather than something you should do. You can’t help but talk about Him.
4) Talk to Him– Prayer is more than a ritual or something you “have” to do. It’s simply talking to God. How much do we learn from people we have constant communication with? How much deeper and more meaningful are our relationships when are real and just talk? “And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words” (Matt. 6:7). Talk like you would normally talk to someone you love. Also, sometimes I have been caught up in picking the “perfect” time or “perfect” place just so I can pray. Now when I can pray whenever, wherever I want. This is your freedom too. (see John 10:27-28)
5) Recognize His voice- He DOES respond in the way He responds. “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ” (Rom. 10:17). So many I know have said, “Well when I see thunder and lightning then I will know it is Him!” This isn’t Hollywood! God speaks in His very creation, His word, through His prophets which is still relevant today, in the little details in your life that make you smile, in the still small voice, through the trials, placing God in your little box will deafen you. Open your ears and allow your heart and mind to be receptive. It’ll work wonders! (Isa. 55:8-9, 1 Kings 19:11-12)
Make it a point in your life to FALL IN LOVE with God. There is NOTHING like it. I remember the day I became “that person” in church who shouted to God for how GREAT He is, clapping, crying, dancing, and the best part is…I didn’t care who was watching! There is no turning back for me and that’s okay! When that happens to you (it will…trust me…loll), a smile will start to play across your face because you will realize just how much you love God. I pray this for you…
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matt. 6:33).
Baskets of Blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!